版主: clsegp

Sherri
文章: 29
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

Applying speech act theory in the instruction of conversational strategies

文章Sherri » 2016年 5月 6日, 11:53

Conversation strategy_summary.pdf
(426.1 KiB) 已下載 57 次

1. Why is it important to teach conversation strategies by applying speech act theory for cross-cultural communicative purposes?
2. What have you learned from this workshop on speech acts of disagreeing and suggesting? Please give examples.

Tommy
文章: 24
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

Re: Applying speech act theory in the instruction of conversational strategies

文章Tommy » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:40

This is a good sharing. I like the input, output, and feedback ones.
Also I learnt a lot from the strategies and function of speech acts.

Jenny
文章: 14

文章Jenny » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:42

Q1:
To help students better understand speakers' intention and to avoid cultural misunderstanding

Tommy
文章: 24
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

文章Tommy » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:42

Sherri 寫:
Conversation strategy_summary.pdf

1. Why is it important to teach conversation strategies by applying speech act theory for cross-cultural communicative purposes?
2. What have you learned from this workshop on speech acts of disagreeing and suggesting? Please give examples.

Q1: Teaching conversation strategies can help learners become aware of cultural differences. Avoid making big mistakes!!

Concon
文章: 18
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:50

文章Concon » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:42

Q1: It will prevent misunderstaning and promote cultural awareness if speech acts are properly taught.

Lichu
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:18

文章Lichu » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:43

I like the idea of "downtoners," which should be part of the language use in our teaching.

Daniel
文章: 11
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:31

文章Daniel » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:44

1. It's important to teach conversation strategies by applying speech act theory for cross-cultural communicative purposes because only by doing so, students will not make socially inappropriate mistakes. For example, I often get emails from students like "tell me a time when you are available, then I will tell you a good time to meet". It is obvious that the students are not aware of the linguistic and social inappropriateness in this email. Same thing goes with disagreeing and suggesting. When students are not aware of the speech act for cross-cultural communicative purpose, they may sound inappropriate, and hence, have serious problems in their communication.

Jiajia
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:38

文章Jiajia » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:45

It's really important to teach conversation strategies by applying speech act theory. As we know, in authentic contexts, speakers may talk to people in different power relations (e.g. high-low, equal, low-to-high relations) and for different purposes. For example, disagreement iteself is a face-threatening act. Understanding how to deal with disagreements by using indirect devices may help learners develop the awareness of language use and further build up a positive relationship with people.

Concon
文章: 18
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:50

文章Concon » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:46

Q2: I have learned that learners' awareness should be raised under disagreeing/suggesting speech acts. If sufficient linguistic repertoire and meaningful context are paved first, students will have a much more fluent and less face-threatning speech act. It is a very fruitful presentation, thanks for all the inspiration.

Jenny
文章: 14

文章Jenny » 2016年 5月 6日, 17:46

Q2: What have you learned from this workshop on speech acts of disagreeing and suggesting? Please give examples.
We can use some modals to show disagreement, such as shoud and had better. Using downtoners is very important to make avoid face-threatening situations. The examples are interrogative questions and modal verbs.

回到「教師專業成長工作坊」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 2 位訪客