版主: clsegp

Jenny
文章: 14
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

Instructional strategies on writing:describing graphs

文章Jenny » 2016年 5月 27日, 12:55

describing graphs_20160527_concise.pdf
(614.41 KiB) 已下載 107 次
Question: How would you adopt these strategies in your teaching practice, or on different levels of students?
最後由 Jenny 於 2016年 5月 27日, 14:54 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。

Lichu
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:18

Re: Instructional strategies on writing:describing graphs

文章Lichu » 2016年 5月 27日, 14:45

I like today's session on describing graphs, especially the part on critical thinking. I think this is an important part of reading graphs & charts. Most of us tend to focus on the understanding of the information on the graphs or charts. But to interpret the information with critical thinking should be part of the infographics competence for younger generation of modern times. So I will adopt this part in my class.
最後由 Lichu 於 2016年 5月 27日, 14:46 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。

Maggie
文章: 1
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:50

文章Maggie » 2016年 5月 27日, 14:45

The 4-step structure introduced today is very useful, and it presents a clear framework for students in their writing.
I would ask my students to follow the structure.

I also like the critical thinking questions that followed the graph description task today very much. It is a great extension for students to think about what trends/phenomenon the graphs are showing after they finished the writing task.

Sherri
文章: 29
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

文章Sherri » 2016年 5月 27日, 14:47

Personally I have found hilighting the key points of a graph with circles (for intersections) and arrows (for trends) useful in guiding learners to identify the content worth writing about. This strategy also provides an opportunity for learners to comapre and contrast, or apply other critical thinking skills to describing the graph rather than focusing too much on discrete details.
最後由 Sherri 於 2016年 5月 27日, 14:48 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。

Daniel
文章: 11
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:31

文章Daniel » 2016年 5月 27日, 14:47

For intermediate students, it is important to guide students step by step, like what Jenny has demonstrated in today's workshop. It is useful to use comprehension questions, multiple chioce questions and fill-in-the-blank before asking students to complete the writing task. However, for high-intermediate students, instructors probably would not have to go into so much details. Perhaps by giving students the language and the structure needed, and having students to analyze a model paragraph, students would be ready to try this themselves. Of course, some of them may still need instructor's guidance (do not expect that they will learn it right away). By giving them a couple of writing tasks one at a time, they will be able to improve their paragraph on describing graphs.

Jiajia
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:38

文章Jiajia » 2016年 5月 27日, 14:48

I think it is a good idea to start from comprehension questions. The comprehension questions Jenny provided are really useful. They guide students to understand what they should focus on when they learn to identify key points in the graphs. And, they also help students critically compare information in different graphs.

Xinhui
文章: 7
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

文章Xinhui » 2016年 5月 27日, 14:49

Jenny 寫:Question: How would you adopt these strategies in your teaching practice, or on different levels of students?

Thanks for the inspirational speech.
I think I will start to try the following strategies to guide students whn they learn to describe graphs:
1. Compare different graphs.
2. Provide a clear structure and frame.
3. Give a uauful vocabulary list.

Concon
文章: 18
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:50

文章Concon » 2016年 5月 27日, 14:54

After getting some insights from the workshop, applying grammar tense, vocabulary/ phrase, preposition, and structure are 4 crucial steps in familiarizing the students with graph-writing tasks. By doing exerices on identifying graphs and using correct vocabulary/ tense, the graph-writing task can be united into a coherent one. I think I will be giving a quick check-up or quiz at the very end of the lesson, hoping that the studnets will have no problem in describing the graphs.

回到「教師專業成長工作坊」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 1 位訪客