How to teach descriptive writing by similes and metaphors in reading and writing

教師專業成長工作坊

版主: clsegp

Concon
文章: 18
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:50

How to teach descriptive writing by similes and metaphors in reading and writing

文章Concon » 2016年 5月 6日, 12:06

Simile metaphors.pdf
(69.23 KiB) 已下載 70 次

1. Why is it important for our learners to learn similes and metaphors?
2. How can we apply instruction on similes and metaphors, besides descriptive writing?

Tommy
文章: 24
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

Re: How to teach descriptive writing by similes and metaphors in reading and writing

文章Tommy » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:34

Concon 寫:
Applying simile and metaphor in reading and writing classes.pdf

Simile metaphors.pdf

2. How can we apply instruction on similes and metaphors, besides descriptive writing?

Q1: I think it is quite important to teach students similies and metaphors. There are 2 main reasons.
First, leaning similies and metahpors can expand their figurative language. Second, they can increase the
amount of their writing or even speaking. Their works will become more vivid and interesting.

Daniel
文章: 11
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:31

Re: How to teach descriptive writing by similes and metaphors in reading and writing

文章Daniel » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:36

1. It is important to teach our students similes and metaphors because they are essential parts in descriptive writing. By using similes and metaphors, students can add more imagery or sensory words to make their writing more vivid (so that the readers have a picture or imagination in their mind). I have to say that our students are weak in this kind of writing and it does take some efforts for them to start using simile and metaphors.

Lichu
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:18

文章Lichu » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:37

I really enjoyed the workshop on teaching similes and metaphors. As an instructor, these two literary devices can help us to bring in the beauties and colors of the boring English language into learning English.
最後由 Lichu 於 2016年 5月 14日, 21:12 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。

Lichu
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:18

文章Lichu » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:38

Daniel 寫:1. It is important to teach our students similes and metaphors because they are essential parts in descriptive writing. By using similes and metaphors, students can add more imagery or sensory words to make their writing more vivid (so that the readers have a picture or imagination in their mind). I have to say that our students are weak in this kind of writing and it does take some efforts for them to start using simile and metaphors.

I agree that our students are weak on this. We all can make some efforts.
最後由 Lichu 於 2016年 5月 14日, 21:12 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。

Jenny
文章: 14
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

文章Jenny » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:38

Q1:

I quite enjoyed this lesson. I think teaching simile and metaphor help students writing more creative and uiqune. Maybe they can use these skills in writing a short autobiography when they apply for a job position or a school program. This will certainly make their bio stand out.

Jiajia
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:38

文章Jiajia » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:39

I've learned the concept of similes and metaphors. It is insightful. It encourages learners to describe and observe things from different points of view. I especially like the way the instructor guides us to learn similes and metaphors from listening to songs and reading lyrics. I think it makes teaching creative and interesting. As students are exposed in interesting contexts, the climate may also motivate them to learn new vocabulary words, observe things around them, and produce better quality of writing.

Daniel
文章: 11
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:31

文章Daniel » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:39

On page 10 of the handout (pdf. file), it is stated that figurative language can help students improve knowledge on chunking. In what way is it helpful?

Xinhui
文章: 7
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

文章Xinhui » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:40

Concon 寫:
Applying simile and metaphor in reading and writing classes.pdf

Simile metaphors.pdf

Q1:
Using metaphor or simile to teach could help students to enhance language use creativily.

Q2:
We might use metaphor or simile to analize the contents or structures of advertisement marketing strategies.

Sherri
文章: 29
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

文章Sherri » 2016年 5月 6日, 16:41

Q1
Almost everyone loves a story, in which similes and metaphors are the butter and bread. Storytelling skills are especially important in business context where presenters or marketers often need to tell good stories to describe and/or promote a product. Nonetheless, similes and metaphors require conscious learning not only because they are mostly governed by cultural frameworks (for example, one can be as cute as a doll or kitten in English but not necessarily in Chinese), but because they can be changing over time. So students would need both language and cultural inputs to cognitively learn figurative writing or speaking.

回到「教師專業成長工作坊」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 1 位訪客