Applying Politeness Strategies to Teaching Oral Communication

教師專業成長工作坊

版主: clsegp

Tommy
文章: 24
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

Applying Politeness Strategies to Teaching Oral Communication

文章Tommy » 2017年 7月 4日, 09:42

How could we apply the three politeness strategies in our teaching?
What teaching and learning difficulties can we expect within or beyond the politeness theory? (Ex. Limitations)

Daniel
文章: 11
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:31

Re: Applying Politeness Strategies to Teaching Oral Communication

文章Daniel » 2017年 7月 4日, 16:20

I think the politeness strategies can be applied to any situation in our teaching. Students need to be aware of the power distance and social distance between the speakers for them to make a polite response in the conversation. For example, in the case of the power distance, students need to know that they would have to elaborate after politely refuse the requests. I think this is very useful for me to teach in my classroom.

Jiajia
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:38

文章Jiajia » 2017年 7月 4日, 16:21

I think it is very helpful for learners to learn politeness strategies from the use of linguistic and rhetorical choices such as softeners, tense and modal verbs, and rephrasing negative sentences. Instructors could guide learners to explore levels of formality and appropriateness from the strategies. I also like the practice exercises designed in the workshop which guide learners to start from the development of cultural awareness to the production of business conversations in different social contexts.

Tommy
文章: 24

文章Tommy » 2017年 7月 4日, 16:21

The three politeness strategies I learned today can be applied to my speaking courses. Besides languge, I think
my students need to know when and what polite langauge they need to use in different contexts and situations.
More exposure of the different situations, for example, the different relationships between the speakers are extremely
in our teaching practices because the strategies may be different according to different relationships of the speakers.

I can expect that students may get confused when and how to use the politeness strategies.
As a teacher, I will use the instructional design I acquired today to my future classes.

lifen.wang
文章: 2
註冊時間: 2017年 7月 4日, 14:48

文章lifen.wang » 2017年 7月 4日, 16:22

I would probably create more scenarios with refusals upward recipinets, equal recipients and downward recipients, then I would ask students to discuss their refusal strategies in class. The reason that I think it is important to have class discussion is that there are students who wokr partime and know what to reply to bosses, customers and colleagues. Learning from peers is always more effective and efficient.

Sherri
文章: 29
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

文章Sherri » 2017年 7月 4日, 16:22

I think it is really important to raise students' awareness of why polite language is essential in certain situations (Ex. refusing, requesting, disagreeing, etc.) with certain interlocutors (Ex. to the boss / supervisor), and to help them develop the politeness strategies to communicate appropriately in the given cultural and social context. Again, this workshop also draws our attention to the fact that under certain circumstances, both internal (softeners, modal verbs) and external (justifiable background information and/or elaborations in this case) politeness strategies would be needed.

Xinhui
文章: 7

文章Xinhui » 2017年 7月 4日, 16:23

What teaching and learning difficulties can we expect within or beyond the politeness theory?
-----------
I thought the limitation of politiness theory for teachingwill be how to arose the languague awareness cross-culturely. One language might show a specefic or unique perspetive toward the world, so different langugaes might have something in common, but aslo highlight or hidden some parts from the shared ideas or concepts. Hence, for teachers, it is not easy to teach the "awareness" to students.

Pochen
文章: 6

文章Pochen » 2017年 7月 4日, 16:24

Applying politeness strategiee is a key factor to effective communication. it is relatively easier to learn the polite language than to build the awareness of politeness in diffierent culture. For example, in task 6 in today's workshop, making elaboration and proposing an appropriate solution would be challenging if students have little awareness of cultural difference.

回到「教師專業成長工作坊」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 1 位訪客