The effect of explicit pragmatics instruction on business writing : Request e-mails

教師專業成長工作坊

版主: clsegp

Tommy
文章: 24
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

The effect of explicit pragmatics instruction on business writing : Request e-mails

文章Tommy » 2017年 5月 19日, 08:41

How would you use explicit pragmatic instruction in your writing class?

Tommy
文章: 24

Re: The effect of explicit pragmatics instruction on business writing : Request e-mails

文章Tommy » 2017年 5月 19日, 18:01

After getting the feedbacks from my colleagues, I will revise my PPT slides. Focus on how to use pragmatic strategies to help students raise pragmatic awareness. Also the design will be changed.

Sherri
文章: 29
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

Re: The effect of explicit pragmatics instruction on business writing : Request e-mails

文章Sherri » 2017年 5月 19日, 18:03

Teaching pragmatic strategies is indeed very important especially in ESP, because if learners are unaware of how they should be polite in either oral or written communcications, they man face the risk of damaging current relationships, which could cost them a lot in career building.

Xinhui
文章: 7

文章Xinhui » 2017年 5月 19日, 18:03

As a instrutor, we could apply pragmatic strategies, such as politeness strategy or FAT theory, to help students build up the awarness of making a request email. We also need to provide the structures and the appropriate language uses to help students to write a organized request email politely.

Concon
文章: 18
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:50

文章Concon » 2017年 5月 19日, 18:03

I would like to know more about how teachers can apply the Cost and Benefit Theory in teaching business writing classes. Text books do not usually provide examples on how "the more person A request benefits person B, the more polite person A seems". It might be a challenge to support this theory with concret examples. Also, under cultural influences, how can non-native speakers understand the nuances of positive or negative politeness. These are the topics I would like to know more.

Daniel
文章: 11
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:31

文章Daniel » 2017年 5月 19日, 18:06

I agree that instruction for pragmatics has to be explicit, for students need to know the politeness strategies before they can use the right phrases in their email writing. As the examples in the workshop showed, without instruction, students would write an email that is not culturally appropriate (e.g. the email is full of negative politeness). With the pragmatic instruction, student could write something that is more culturally appropriate.

Pochen
文章: 6

文章Pochen » 2017年 5月 19日, 18:11

Pragmatics is important and challenging in language teaching. If some activities or tasks can be designed in the workshop, I believe that it will help a lot.

回到「教師專業成長工作坊」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 0 位訪客