Applying Intercultural Rhetoric (IR) to the Instructional Design of Business Email Teaching: Responding to a request

教師專業成長工作坊

版主: clsegp

Sherri
文章: 29
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

Applying Intercultural Rhetoric (IR) to the Instructional Design of Business Email Teaching: Responding to a request

文章Sherri » 2017年 6月 9日, 13:03

Key features or elements of Intercultural Rhetoric include:
1. genre analysis (moves, rhetorical patterns)
2. communicative conventions (situated applications of linguistic strategies such as politeness strategies)
3. social context of texts / interaction (purpose, textual influence on the audience)

How would you apply these features in your classroom for oral and/or written communications?

Tommy
文章: 24
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

Re: Applying Intercultural Rhetoric (IR) to the Instructional Design of Business Email Teaching: Responding to a request

文章Tommy » 2017年 6月 9日, 18:11

I've learned a lot in today's workshop. I would apply the Key features or elements of Intercultural Rhetoric
in my future teaching. First, the genres analysis should be taught to the students. They need to understand
the genres. Also, the moves are important for the students in different situations. When writing business email,
the moves are the required part in the instruction. Last but the the least, the communication conventions are
also important for students.

Concon
文章: 18
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:50

Re: Applying Intercultural Rhetoric (IR) to the Instructional Design of Business Email Teaching: Responding to a request

文章Concon » 2017年 6月 9日, 18:14

Applying the moves in the written communication is very important to my pre-intermediate level students. Since they are not totally familiar with the structure/move of bussiness correspondence, it's better to pre-teach them all the elements of it. They can have a chart like what we have in the workshop. Then identify the steps of the moves. This kind of practice will do good to them and prepare them for better writers. Thanks for the inspiration!

Daniel
文章: 11
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:31

文章Daniel » 2017年 6月 9日, 18:15

As I am teaching EAP speaking classes, students are required to make academic presentations such as seminar or conference presentations. In the formal acadecmi presentations, there are certain moves and this is actually important in the academic culture (as part of the small cultures). If NOT taught, students may not be aware of these moves. For example, one of the students in my class actually questioned the moves. After showing them some videos of academic presentations and having them analyze the moves, he finally understood that this is part of the academic culture.

Sherri
文章: 29
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

文章Sherri » 2017年 6月 9日, 18:16

Rhetorical patterns are very useful in helping our learners achieve 'appropriateness' in oral and/or written communications. For example, to write an email to someone with higher power status such as supervisors, opening and closing are considered obligatory moves, while thery are not the other way around.

Jiajia
文章: 9
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:38

文章Jiajia » 2017年 6月 9日, 18:16

I think the concept of IR could be used in the teaching of different text types. For example, interviews, meetings, and presentations all have expectations for different moves. We could guide learners to analyze moves in different professional settings and design authentic contexts to practice the moves.

回到「教師專業成長工作坊」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 0 位訪客