Applying politeness strategies to teaching English speaking courses

教師專業成長工作坊

版主: clsegp

Jennifer
文章: 4
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:51

Applying politeness strategies to teaching English speaking courses

文章Jennifer » 2017年 6月 9日, 13:16

We've talked about politeness strategy and its instructional design in the workshop, please base on your experiences, share your opinions.
Question: How would you teach EFL students to apply politeness strategies to making request or declining invitation in English speaking classes?

Sherri
文章: 29
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:48

Re: Applying politeness strategies to teaching English speaking courses

文章Sherri » 2017年 6月 9日, 16:36

Among the strategies, I would teach my students modal verbs and softners (modifiers / downtoners) because those are probably the most comprehensible for the students. And I think comparing the remarks of the students with those made my native speakers of English is an effective way to raise students' awareness of the level of politeness in communications.

Tommy
文章: 24
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

文章Tommy » 2017年 6月 9日, 16:37

Politeness strategies will be the key parts. Students need to aware the importance of politness.
I will guide my students to apply the positive and negative politness in today's workshop.
Show them what type of politness they should use in different contexts. Give them more examples and practices.

Daniel
文章: 11
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:31

文章Daniel » 2017年 6月 9日, 16:37

As making request or declining invitaion would be very face threatening, it is important to teach our students some politeness strategies. One way to teach students to apply politeness strategies is to give scenarios and ask students to make request or decline invitaion first without instruction. After, show some examples of more acceptable or appropriate ways of making request or declining invitation. Discuss the difference with the students. After that, highlight some key phrases and give students time to practice using these phrases. Before the class ends, ask students to revise their original answer.

Pochen
文章: 6
註冊時間: 2016年 5月 6日, 11:49

文章Pochen » 2017年 6月 9日, 16:40

I do think this topic is really practical and important for speaking. It would be easier to understand and apply the politeness strategies and speech acts if more examples can be provided.

回到「教師專業成長工作坊」

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 0 位訪客